RETAIL AND CONSUMER TREE CARE AND SAFETY TIPS
- The handling of trees on retail lots has the greatest effect on their moisture levels (freshness) and quality.
- Trees should not be stored directly on pavement or concrete – if possible store on pallets, straw, or sawdust. Keep straw or sawdust moist.
- Trees should be stored in a shaded area that is protected from temperature extremes, wind, and direct sunlight.
- Covering trees with shade cloth or burlap, and spraying them with water is an effective way to maintain freshness. Do not use plastic.
- To reduce the rate of drying on displayed trees, spray their foliage during the night and early morning.
Consumer Care and Safety Tips
- Buy your tree early to assure freshness; place butt in container of water in shaded area until you are ready to bring the tree indoors for the holiday season.
- Cut approximately ¼ to ½ inch off the trunk before placing the tree in a stand.
- Use a stand that holds a gallon or more of water.
- Check water often, a tree may take up a gallon of water in the first 24 hrs. and a quart a day after that.
- Place tree away from heat sources, heating vents, fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators, and sunny windows.
- Check lights and cords for broken bulbs and frayed wiring.
- Do not overload electric circuits.
- Turn off lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Remove tree from your home promptly after Christmas and recycle it.
TAKING PROPER CARE OF YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE ENSURES MANY WEEKS OF ENJOYMENT DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON!